- Why did my crown or filling fall out?
- If I lost a crown or filling, can my tooth be sensitive?
- What should I do if I’ve lost a filling or a crown?
- Quick, short-term fixes to help until you can see a dentist.
Most of the time, a filling or a crown falls out while eating or chewing gum. Losing a filling or crown can cause the tooth to become sensitive and vulnerable.
Usually, it is decay beneath the crown or filling that causes it to become loose or fall out. The decay changes the shape of the tooth which compromises the fit of the filling or crown.
If you do not contact a dentist in Lincoln, NE and no treatment is done for a lost crown or filling, the tooth will become more sensitive or infected as debris and bacteria come in contact with it. Teeth can also shift if a crown is out of the mouth for too long.
Schedule Online 24/7
Here are the steps dentists nearby recommend you take if a filling or crown becomes loose or falls out:
- First, call our office or our emergency dentist number (if it’s after hours) if you have a lost filling or crown and are experiencing severe discomfort. If you are not experiencing a significant amount of discomfort, contact our office so we can get you in at your convenience.
- If you lost a crown, be sure to clean it the as good as you can and keep it in a safe place. It is possible the crown can be put back on the tooth with cement. Most local pharmacies carry a temporary dental cement. Dental cement or toothpaste can help temporarily affix the crown in place while you await your appointment. DO NOT use glue or any other type of non dental material to put the crown back on your tooth. Call your dentist in Lincoln, NE as soon as possible.
- If you lose a filling, you can place clove oil on the tooth (avoid your gums) to help relieve sensitivity.
What will my dentist near me do next for a lost filling?
Your “emergency dentist near me in Lincoln, NE” will evaluate the tooth with the lost filling to determine the cause. Your emergency dentist will either place a new filling, or go over other recommended treatment if necessary. If you have a lost crown, your emergency dentist will try to recement it on the same tooth. This is possible as long as the tooth does not have decay or is not broken.
If decay is present, your emergency dentist in Lincoln, NE will remove it, and place a new filling or crown. Keep in mind, however, if the decay is too extensive or deep, a root canal treatment may be necessary first.
I’m scared of the dentist. Is there anything that can be done to help?
If you have had an encounter with any of the above situations, but are afraid of the dentist, we understand. Our team, Dr. Chris Sullivan and Dr. Kelsey Sullivan, at Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry will do everything they can to make sure your visit with us is superior.
That’s why we offer sedation dentistry. Conscious sedation in dentistry is an extremely safe and effective way to make sure you get the treatment you need.
How urgent is a lost filling? Our dentist in Northeast Lincoln, NE explains…
If you lose a filling, call an emergency dentist near me in Lincoln, NE as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a couple of short-term remedies you can try. Go to your local pharmacy, and pick up some over-the-counter dental cements. Consider these dental cements a temporary fix.
For an even shorter term remedy, you may also use sugar-free gum to cover the cavity. Be sure it is sugar-free gum, because any sugar entering a cavity can cause severe discomfort. Remember, if you don’t seek treatment for cavities, they can develop into more serious problems, including loss of the tooth. So, be sure to seek the help of a dentist in Lincoln, NE.
Give us a call at Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry to evaluate your lost filling or crown. We are more than happy to help and present you with your treatment options. Find a dentist near me and contact us today.
Schedule Online 24/7
The information on this page was written by Dr. Kelsey Sullivan.
This gentle Lincoln, NE dentists says: “My patients deserve personalized, quality dental care in an atmosphere they feel comfortable in. At Nebraska Family Dentistry, our team of caring professionals are committed to providing you with a comfortable and positive dental experience. Our goal is to partner with you to help you achieve and maintain optimal dental health throughout your lifetime.”
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist online 24/7 at her Northeast Lincoln Location of Nebraska Family Dentistry. This Lincoln, NE dentist serves the local communities close to Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry in Waverly, Davey, Greenwood, Walton, Eagle, Elmwood, Weeping Water, Ceresco, and more.
I am looking forward to meeting you soon, Dr. Kelsey Sullivan.
Learn more about the cosmetic dentistry services we provide.
Looking for Dental Payment Plans
or Apply Online
(Click logo above to be directed to website)
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with the Dental Payment Plans we offer.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
Nebraska Family Dentistry has multiple Lincoln Dental Clinics!
Choose a “dentist near me” location that is convenient for you.